Eld Fanfictions

Share your stories and written works here. Keep all writing user friendly.

Re: Eld Fanfictions

Postby scmarshtacky » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:51 am

Chapter 3

Sorren’s eyes flittered open as the sunlight streamed through the window. Yawning and stretching, he pulled himself from the couch, leaving a tired and mildly disgruntled Muzu to settle back down on the seat he had just vacated.

Sorren crossed over to the window on the adjacent wall and was surprised to see a flurry of activity on the cobblestone street below. Vendors with small wooden carts containing a variety of items - from food, to jewelry, to clothing to creatures – lined the narrow streets.

“Will. Wake up.” Sorren ordered, turning his attention to the lump of a man who had not stirred.

Willy shifted ever so slightly. “Jus’ a few more minutes...” he mumbled groggily.

Sorren sighed. “Muzu, if you’d be so kind.”

The ever-faithful crow stirred with a light caw. Hopping over to Willy, Muzu gave him a none-to-gentle peck on the nose.

“Gah!” Willy lurched forward, blindly swatting at Muzu, though the crow easily avoided the half-conscious man. “‘The hell Sorren? I thought I asked ‘ya to say something before relyin' on Muzu to wake me up!”

“I did. You didn’t wake up,” Sorren responded bluntly. “There’s quite a bit of activity outside, so we’re going to investigate.”

“Why does it have to be ‘we’?” Willy mumbled, laying back down on the couch. “I’ll just be here for a while longer and catch up to ‘ya later.”

“If I leave you here alone, you’ll wander around whenever you wake up and inevitably find trouble,” Sorren replied in the same matter-of-fact tone.

“Do ‘ya really trust me that little? ‘Asides I have Fiore here, so I won’t be alone.”

“That’s even more reason for concern. You know as well as I do that you find more trouble with Fiore than without her. Now come on.”

With a lot of exaggerated, groggy, grumbling Willy hauled himself up and followed behind Sorren as he led the way out of the inn and down to the street.

In just the few short minutes that the two of them had been squabbling, the already busy street had filled with at least double the amount of people and creatures Sorren had seen before.

Willy’s eyes lit up immediately as he laid his eyes on the various amounts of food and trinkets. There were several booths set up for games and prizes, some of which included an Eldemore creature as a prize.

“This is impressive!” Willy said, as he gazed open-mouthed at the festivities around him. “What stand should we start at?”

“We’re not here for games Will. Need I remind you that I’m here for work and you’re to avoid creating a ruckus at all costs?”

“That one looks really –”

“Will!” Sorren interrupted, turning his stern eyes on his friend.

“Now look here Sorren,” Willy said, shaking his pointer finger at Sorren as if he was scolding a dire. “The best way to investigate anything is to mingle with the people right? Well, all of the people are right here on this street. And really, would it kill you to have a little fun every now and again?”

Sorren gave a long sigh. “If I allow myself to be carried away with this ‘fun’ then I could lose track of the surroundings and...”

While Sorren was busy giving a full-on lecture, Willy once again gazed at the stands, deciding which one he wanted to visit first. A loud growling from his stomach made up his mind for him. “Great,” he interjected, stopping Sorren in the middle of his sentence. “But before we do anything, let’s give that food stand a try.”

“You weren’t listening to a thing I said were you?”

“ ‘A course I was listenin’ but I’m too hungry to focus and we all know how ‘ya value focus. So food first.” Before Willy could give him a chance to complain, he shoved Sorren forward toward a little dumpling stand.

Sorren moved at Willy's insistence, though he couldn’t say he was particularly happy with this turn of events. Still, he was a bit hungry himself and a small breakfast would do them all some good. Once at the stand, Sorren tossed a couple of baubles at the merchant and took a stick that had several dumplings on it.

“It’s still kinda weird,” Willy said as they walked down the street with their breakfast. “Payin’ for things I mean.”

“Strange perhaps, but much easier,” Sorren stated as he held out a crumb of the dumpling for Muzu to try. So many years the two of them had stolen from shops and street vendors who were not too different than those on the street today. Clever distraction tactics and fast reflexes gave them enough food to get through the day, but by no means was it an easy way to live. Sorren much preferred the legal way of obtaining food.

“For old times’ sake we could –”

“Don’t you dare even think about it,” Sorren cut him off, knowing exactly where Willy’s thoughts were going. “How many times do I have to tell you to stay out of trouble?”

“If you didn’t say it so much, maybe I would listen more.”

Sorren gave a frustrated roll of his eyes but said nothing in response.

The two spent the majority of the morning and afternoon (at Willy’s insistence) travelling the streets and observing the people around them, or at least, Sorren was. Willy, meanwhile, jumped from stand to stand, participating in whatever activities he could find. By the time they reached the end of the long street, he had so many bags full of prizes and trinkets that he could scarcely carry it all. Even Fiore had a little bag in her mouth.

“I guess this is the end of the road huh?” Willy said, craning his head around the packages in his arms. The cobblestone road went no further, although there was a small dirt path that continued onward to a group of cherry trees in the distance. “Sorren! Are you really going to keep going?” Willy demanded as his friend moved off toward the little path.

“Yes. There may be something of interest this way,” Sorren stated, without turning back to address Willy.

With a bit of grumbling about heavy bags and tired feet, Willy followed after Sorren.

It was clear that the trail had once been greatly traveled, though now it was overgrown with tall grass and vines that threatened to send Willy toppling with all of his goodies if he wasn’t careful. He was so focused on the ground that he failed to notice Sorren stopping in front of him until he ran into the back of his friend.

“For the love of Eldemore,” Sorren said exasperatedly, “give me that before you seriously injure yourself.” He snatched the topmost bag, which gave Willy a clear field of vision.

“Thank ‘ya Sorren,” Willy replied, flashing him a wide grin. “What’d ‘ya stop for anyway.”

Using his free hand, Sorren pointed to the small little shrine carved from rocks. It was worn from weather and had a couple patches of moss growing on it, but was still beautiful nonetheless.

“Welcome to my shrine,” a soft voice said. Slowly, a white woman with long black hair and a kind face, materialized in front of them.

“Hey there,” Willy greeted cheerfully while Sorren gave a short, respectful, dip of his head. After the things they had seen in the past, a woman materializing out of nowhere didn’t seem all that strange.

“I see...” she said as she gazed at them. “You have come to the Oriental Isles from the mainland in search of those who wish this land harm.”

“Do you have any information on the matter?” Sorren asked.

She gave a small shake of her head. “Not much I’m afraid. I do know that as of late, the Oriental Isles have been flooded with individuals from the mainland, and I fear that these people are aiming to overthrow the Emperor of this land and take this kingdom for themselves.

"Unlike the other human kingdoms, the Orients have always been the peaceful sort, only fighting to defend what is rightfully theirs. But the times have changed the people. I do not know if the Orients still have the strength to defend against this threat.

"I ask of you, Watch Crow members, please protect this land and the people in it.”

Sorren and Willy exchanged a glance. There was much more to this mission than they originally thought. Willy couldn’t help but wonder just what he was doing, assigning just Sorren to complete such a large task alone. Good thing Willy was here to help.

“Of course, we will do everything in our power to ensure the mission is properly completed,” Sorren vowed.

A/N~ This was a really hard chapter for me to get through, and I'm not exactly sure why. I do hope the end result is not too terrible. >.< I re-wrote the whole beginning because it just didn't feel right. And here's hoping I kinda sorta captured the Shrine Maiden (Yin's?) personality alright and didn't go too far off-course with the little bit I said about the Orient people.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am your friendly Eld moderator,
here to assist all Eldemorians with
their general needs. Feel free to
send me a message at any time
to ask questions or chat. ^^

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

scmarshtacky

Postby scmarshtacky » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Chapter 4

“So here’s what we know,” Willy began as he and Sorren trekked back through the tall grass toward the town.
He had quizzed the Shrine Maiden after her little story, asking things like: Where was the group located, when were they going to make their move, how many people were there, how should two people go about stoppin' 'em, oh, and which restaurant has the best food? That last one had earned the man a glare from Sorren, but it was worth it.

However, that had only turned up a small amount of additional information. “Some unfriendly guys have settled in this city,” Willy continued. “She said she thought they’re hiddin’ out underground – literally in tunnels under the city. I can’t imagine that bein’ at all comfortable. I bet the sewers –”

“Focus Will,” Sorren said. “The quality of the sewer system is not relevant. There are a lot of mysteries hidden in the Oriental Isles. It’s not at all surprising if they had their own underground system of tunnels and safe houses to use during emergencies.”

“So, they’re hiddin’ out under the city somewhere in these tunnels and storage areas, and they’re from the mainland, which will make them easy to distinguish from the Orients.”

“But we cannot assume that all people from the mainland are hostile,” Sorren reminded him. “During a festival such as this, merchants from across Eldemore would be a common sight.”

“So we’re looking for hostile people, possibly disguised as merchants that may or may not be living underground somewhere waiting for the perfect moment to kill the emperor and seize control of the Oriental Isles -" He cut off to draw a deep breath.

Sorren gave a slight nod. “According to her, there is a small entrance in the form of a manhole on the southeastern side of town by the port. We can start there.”

“Wait just a secon’!” Willy protested as Sorren started down the road. “My hands are still full with this stuff!”

Sorren turned his head ever so slightly to cast Willy a sideways glance. “And?”

“An' ‘ye wanna walk to the other side of the city! Lemme at least put all this stuff back at the inn before ‘ye charge into a den full of enemies.”

Sorren pondered this for a long moment. On the one hand, it was his friend’s fault he had so much stuff; he should bear it without complaint, but on the other, if a fight broke out, he didn’t want Willy to be handicapped by those belongings.

“Alright fine.” Sorren agreed. “But we must be quick about it. We're running out of daylight.”

Willy flashed him a wide grin. “Great!”

The two started down the street at a brisk walk, but as they got closer and closer to the middle of town, the crowd got thicker and thicker until the two could scarcely move at all. It was hard to imagine so many people could even cram themselves in such a narrow road.

“Who woulda’ thought so many people lived in this city,” Willy said as he “accidentally” jabbed one guy in the stomach with his elbow to force the person to shift out of his way. “There must be a couple thousand in just these few blocks.”

“It’s not just the people in this city,” Sorren responded, following in Willy’s wake as he bulldozed through the crowd. “This is the biggest event in the Oriental Isles. The whole kingdom gathers here.”

“’Ye’d think they’d have the foresight to widen the streets if this happens every year,” he grumbled, shoving another citizen none-to-gently out of the way.

It took no less than an hour of wading through the crowd before they reached the corner that the inn was located on.

“Finally!” Willy exclaimed, bounding toward the door of the inn. He shifted his bags and parcels to one arm and used his now-free hand to reach for the door knob.

At that point, several things happened at once. Sorren got a strong feeling of bloodlust; a person – dressed in a black cloak with a hood pulled over his face – came barreling out of the inn, almost hitting Willy in the face with the heavy wooden door; Muzu gave a loud screech and immediately darted after the individual as they disappeared into the thick crowd.

A member of that group? Did they know we were here and that we’re after them? Were they trying to investigate us while we were out? A flood of questions filled Sorren’s mind at once, but he didn’t have the time to fully analyze them at the moment.

Though Muzu’s eyes, he could already see the culprit making significant headway through the crowd.

“You are not going to get away from me,” Sorren vowed as he spun around and darted back into the thick mass of people. He heard Willy shout something behind him, but was too focused on the enemy to hear what his friend was saying.

Sorren gave no heed to the people around him as he pushed and shoved, and knocked a couple over in chase. It seemed like forever before the crowd finally began to thin. Sorren had made good time, all things considered, but the hooded man was still far ahead of him. Thank the ancients Muzu still had a close eye on him.

Two right turns and a left; he was gaining on the enemy. Then, they suddenly stopped in their tracks. Instinctively, Sorren slowed his pace slightly as well. He hadn’t noticed it until just now, but he had been led to an abandoned part of town, and probably straight into a trap. Well, trap or not, he was prepared to take whatever came at him.

A caw from Muzu focused his thoughts once more on the individual he had been chasing. Muzu circled overhead like a homing beacon and within a few seconds, Sorren emerged from the shadows, with two daggers drawn, to confront the enemy.

“What is your goal?” Sorren addressed the person, getting right to the heart of the matter.

With the hood on the cloak, it was impossible to make out any of the person’s facial features, with the exception of one. Sorren could clearly see his white teeth flash in a devil-like smile that was getting wider by the moment. He had the smile of someone who had already claimed victory.

Clearly, any attempt at conversation would be meaningless. Sorren would have to force information from him, but first he needed to catch the man. Wasting not a second, Sorren charged forward.

When he was within ten feet of the individual, the person extended one pale hand, put his middle finger and thumb together and snapped.

A very soft ‘twang’ sounded from the right, and Sorren spun around to see the flash of an arrow flying straight for his head. Using the momentum he had gathered from his forward dash, the thrust himself sideways. The arrowhead whizzed by, just a couple millimeters away from his right ear.

How long have they been there? Sorren’s cold eyes traced the path the arrow had taken and settled on another hooded figure situated at the top of a two-story building to his right. How was it that both he and Muzu have missed the presence of a second person?

“Sorren! Get down!”

Willy’s urgent voice from behind him drew Sorren’s attention immediately. He realized a moment too late, that diverting his attention to his friend was a grave mistake. He heard another ‘twang’ of the bow string releasing the arrow, and prepared to dodge the attack from the person in front of him. What he did not expect was Willy to throw himself at Sorren, knocking him sideways.

They fell in a heap on the cobblestone street, but both scrambled up within a millisecond.

“Idiot!” Willy shouted turning on Sorren, while Fiore scrambled back up onto his shoulders – she had jumped off and landed gracefully on the ground before the two had crashed. “You’re too focused!”

“You’re the idiot.” Sorren retaliated. “What are you doing throwing yourself in here so carelessly.”

“And what are you doing letting yourself be led into a trap?! And you didn’t even notice the one behind you!” Willy shouted back, voice growing louder with every word.

Behind? Sorren repeated to himself, craning his head around just enough to confirm Willy’s words. With cold realization, he found it to be true; a third man had climbed the building to his left and had fired an arrow much in the same way the second had.

I see... These people aren’t just a rag-tag group of thieves and bandits. They must be skilled in the art of assassination. Sorren's eyes scanned over the one on the ground, who was still looking rather confident in himself. That one in particular is not someone to be taken lightly.

“Would ‘ye quit spacing out Sorren?” Willy said. He had placed himself at Sorren’s back, looking at the third man.

“I’m not spacing out,” he replied, voice emotionless.

“Sorren Corvus, is it?” the first hooded man spoke in a low voice, “I thought at first you might be rather entertaining, but it turns out you’re just a weak little birdy fluttering around in the cage of the Watch Crows.”

Sorren’s eyes narrowed threateningly on the man, but he didn’t rebuff his words or attempt to retaliate. Now was not the time for such things. Instead, he ran through a list of the most effective and fail-free kill methods under the current conditions.

“Will, can you distract the one in the front?” Sorren whispered. “I’ll get the other two.”

Willy nodded his head. “Sure thing.”

“Ready?”

“Go!” They both whispered the word simultaneously and charged.

Sorren tightened his fists on the hilt of his two daggers and made a dash for the man on the building to the right. Meanwhile Muzu moved to distract the archer on the building to the left. Arrows flew in Sorren’s direction, but he could roughly see the path they would take before they even left the bowstring. He dodged them all easily and cleanly, which made the archer more and more frustrated, and in turn, made his marksmanship less accurate.

Sorren launched himself to the top of the building in an instant, and before the man knew what had hit him, sliced through his jugular. With a dying wheeze, the man collapsed.

Before he worked to take the other down, Sorren’s eyes briefly scanned over Willy and Fiore, who seemed to be holding their own well enough against the guy on the ground. Willy hadn’t made much headway on taking down his opponent, but he was certainly keeping the man occupied, and that was sufficient for the time being.

Sorren returned his focus to the last one on the roof that Muzu had been distracting. The man sported a number of small scratches, but still had enough fight in him to shoot at the crow. Muzu had dodged the arrows thus far, but Sorren didn’t want to drag out their skirmish any longer than necessary.

He grabbed the wooden bow and the quiver of arrows off of the dead man before him. Not his weapon of choice, but it would do. Knocking the arrow, Sorren spent only a second aiming before he let it fly. The first shot whizzed past the man’s right arm, only grazing him slightly.

It was enough to shift his attention away from Muzu and to Sorren. Before the individual could aim an arrow in his direction, Sorren pulled back the bowstring once more and released a second arrow. This time, he struck the man’s shoulder.

The man yelled a series of curses, but Sorren didn’t pay his language any mind. He was already nocking another arrow. Sorren spent more time aiming the third shot than he did the previous two. When he let it loose, the arrow embedded itself in the forehead of the man and he collapsed in slow motion.

Sorren’s focus shifted to the last man standing. Compared to the other two, this one was far more skilled. Initially he had thought that the three of them were a strong team, but after eliminating the other two relatively easily, Sorren was beginning to think the archers were just pawns to shift his attention while this guy made a kill-shot. If it weren’t for Willy, his plan might have worked.

From his vantage point above, Sorren could tell that he was just playing around with Will – getting within the range of his sword and then jumping out with only a hair’s breadth to spare. Fiore would leap in on occasion, claws outstretched and teeth bared, but even she hadn’t been able to cause any sort of injury. If Willy would fall back just a few feet, Sorren could attempt a shot with the bow. He doubted he would hit the man, but he may at least be able to draw enough attention for Willy to get in a strike or two.

Once again, Sorren nocked an arrow and pulled the bowstring taunt. Then, he waited for the precise moment. Unfortunately, that moment didn’t come. The man seemed to realize that his plan had ultimately failed. He drew a small, spherical item from a pocket under his cloak, and threw it onto the ground. A dense smoke erupted around the two men, completely obscuring them from view.

Will! Concern for his friend drove Sorren forward. He thrust himself off the building and landed hard on the cobblestone street below.

Willy stumbled backward, coughing and wheezing. The strange smoke had filled his senses, making his eyes and nose sting, and the back of his throat burn as if he’d eaten the hottest pepper in Eldemore.

“Are you alright Will?”

He heard rather than saw Sorren come up behind him. He waved off Sorren’s concern. “I’m f-fine,” he managed between coughing. “What about the guy?”

“He escaped under the smoke screen,” Sorren answered as his eyes drifted over where the man had been just moments before. “And it appears he’s left us a parting gift.”

It took a minute of rapid blinking before Willy finally managed to get the gas out of his eyes enough to see this “gift.” It was a crow feather, laying on the ground and struck through with a small black throwing knife.

“’Death to the Watch Crows’ is it?” Sorren pondered to himself as he picked up the knife and turned it over slowly in his hand. “I suppose it would be wise to tread with great caution from this moment on.”

“We’ll show ‘em!” Willy said. “They bit off more than they can chew. They can’t mess with the Watch Crows an’ get away with it!”

Sorren gave a small nod. “We’ll pick up their trail tomorrow as it would be unwise to follow them through an unfamiliar city in the dark.” In the time they had been fighting, the sun had begun to drop below the horizon.

Muzu settled himself back on Sorren’s right shoulder while Fiore scrambled up Willy’s back to drape herself around the back of his neck. With their companions in tow, they made their way back to the inn while a round of fireworks was shot off in the distance.

The citizens were still having the time of their lives, unaware that a great threat hung over their city.

A/N~ It is done! Or at least as done as it's going to be for the time being. I apologize for errors and parts that are unclear. I'm sure there are quite a few of those places. >.<

I wrestled with this chapter like I did with the previous one. It hit me that I dug myself a massively deep plot here and I'm not sure exactly how to go about getting out of it. Fighting seemed like a good first step. I hope Sorren can use a bow, even if it isn't his preferred weapon? ^^" And I also hope that it didn't get too confusing with three nameless individuals all hiding behind black cloaks. I'm sure I could've written that better. I should probably beef up the scenery imagery a bit too. I got so excited to get to action, I breezed right past that.

Most other stories I write deal with non-humans so I notice I've gotten into this "sensing the presence of other people" sort of thing. I'm not actually sure that's a legitimate thing with these characters, so if it's not, let me so I don't keep doing it wrong.

I replaced the " 'ya" with " 'ye" since that's the dialect Willy has going on in the new blip of stuff in Silverport right now.

But yeah, that was a long, long rant about all of this. I'm ready to be done with this chapter, so just take it off my hands with all it's flaws and incorrectness. XD

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

scmarshtacky

Postby Sphye » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:43 pm

I was very concerned for quite a bit that someone was going to accidentally get shot-- Someone who wasn't supposed to get shot, that is. Probably Willy. Thank goodness he gets to be arrowless for another day!~

I can't wait for the next chapter!
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby Silverhart » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:01 pm

*Takes it with all it's flaws and incorrectness and loves it*

It's brilliant scmar! I love it - I love all of it. It's perfect! I can totally see Sorren and Willy getting into this sort of situation! XD

Keep it up! I need to know what happens next!
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby scmarshtacky » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:04 pm

Sphye wrote:
I was very concerned for quite a bit that someone was going to accidentally get shot-- Someone who wasn't supposed to get shot, that is. Probably Willy. Thank goodness he gets to be arrowless for another day!~

I can't wait for the next chapter!

That's what you think. 8-)

I actually had all intentions of Willy getting injured in the process of knocking Sorren out of the way, or letting Muzu get injured. When I first planned out this chapter, I wanted something that would be taxing enough emotionally to do Sorren transformation because I want to write that so bad. >.< But gosh darn it it's going to be really hard to pull out enough of Sorren's emotions while still attempting to stay in character. I didn't get the set-up right this time around, and I felt like forcing it would just make my already messed up chapter worse.

Quite frankly, I'm still at a point I can say, "Oh yeah, Willy had this deep gash on his shoulder, but you never knew it because the whole fight is from Sorren's point of view, and Willy wears that thick red-ish coat so it wouldn't be easy to see at first glance." But, I don't want to do that, because if I'm going to injure a character, I want it to be more than just a passing, "oh by the way."

I'm gonna get there with injuries and transformations. It'll happen. I just have to find that perfect time.

Silverhart wrote:*Takes it with all it's flaws and incorrectness and loves it*

It's brilliant scmar! I love it - I love all of it. It's perfect! I can totally see Sorren and Willy getting into this sort of situation! XD

Keep it up! I need to know what happens next!

Thank you Silverhart! ^^

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

scmarshtacky

Postby Benathorn » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:49 am

I finally got a chance to sit down and read the next chapter! I wanted to let you know that it was so amazing-- especially the fighting scene with everyone! So much intensity, I was entirely focused on what was going to happen next that I did not realize that there was no next page to turn to, lol. It's just that good! <3

And Sorren would indeed know how to use a bow. It's safe to assume he is proficient at any accuracy weapon and the way you wrote that out based on his character was just so perfect. I don't think you'd have to ever worry about anything with these guys, you write them so well and get into their characters so perfectly that anything you decide that they would do in a situation is most likely correct.

Also... omg I can't wait to see how you write out a transformation for Sorren. I can just imagine how much fun that would be! cx
Benathorn
Administrator

Postby scmarshtacky » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:27 pm

Benathorn wrote:
    I finally got a chance to sit down and read the next chapter! I wanted to let you know that it was so amazing-- especially the fighting scene with everyone! So much intensity, I was entirely focused on what was going to happen next that I did not realize that there was no next page to turn to, lol. It's just that good! <3

And Sorren would indeed know how to use a bow. It's safe to assume he is proficient at any accuracy weapon and the way you wrote that out based on his character was just so perfect. I don't think you'd have to ever worry about anything with these guys, you write them so well and get into their characters so perfectly that anything you decide that they would do in a situation is most likely correct.

Also... omg I can't wait to see how you write out a transformation for Sorren. I can just imagine how much fun that would be! cx

I'm truly glad you enjoyed it! ^^ I can't help but always worry my portrayal of them is a bit off, but it's always wonderful to hear that it's not really as bad as my mind makes it out to be.

Chapter 5

A/N~ Author's note at the beginning of the chapter?? What? XD
Yep, figured I'd go ahead and say it since I'm writing it. I didn't actually plan to finish this chapter today, and I actually meant for it to go on for a bit longer than this, but I'm somewhat satisfied with my current stopping point, and I needed to come up with some birthday gift, even if it isn't much. XP Edit is super rough since I haven't reflected on this chapter much at all. Still, I hope you all enjoy nonetheless.

Greetings little birds,

If you’re reading this now, we have
probably already met, and you have likely defeated
the other two I pulled for this small experiment.
Congratulations to you, but don’t get excited just yet.
I would have expected nothing less. I leave this note
merely as a small greeting. I am sure we will see each
other again in the near future, but until that time, au revoir.

- Zar

Sorren scanned over the note several times. As near as he could figure, “Zar” was probably the name of the individual that had gotten away on Willy. Under his scrawled signature was a black ouroboros symbol, which was possibly the emblem or name that the group had given themselves.

“So?” Willy prompted. “Wha’d it say?”

Sorren crossed over from the window to Willy, who had situated himself on the end of the bed, and handed him the note. “Basically that this Ouroboros group thinks they're one step ahead of us, and have our moves figured out,” Sorren said.

“Is that really what ‘ye think it means?” Willy asked scanning over it twice. “Seems like a nice 'hello' to me.”

“On the surface yes, but if you think about it, Zar left it at the inn well before we saw him and gave chance,” Sorren said. “That means that he was waiting here for us to return. He planned to grab our attention from the start and knew that we would follow him. He knew that I would let myself be led into his little trap, but also knew we’d come out more or less victorious and that he would be able to escape.

“He had the whole thing well planned out before even meeting us for the first time. He wanted us to know we were dancing to his beat. That’s what this message conveys.” With a long sigh, Sorren sat down on the bed beside Willy. He set his elbows on his knees, crossed his fingers under his chin and stared off in the distance.

Willy left him like that for a couple minutes before interrupting his through process. “Well, if they think they’ve got us figured out, we just gotta do somethin’ unpredictable!” he announced. “I can help there.”

Sorren gave a short snort of amusement. “You certainly are unpredictable, but more often than not, that creates even further problems.”

“Hey, put a little trust in me, would ‘ye Sorren? Let’s give ‘em a nice wake-up call tomorrow.”

Sorren’s eyes studied that of his friend’s. There were so many ways this could go wrong, but maybe Willy did have a valid point.

“We'll see,” Sorren replied. “But if I let you call the shots, you absolutely must not destroy the city in the process.”

Willy flashed him a smile. “I’ll give it my best shot.”

Sorren was left to wonder whether that meant Willy would try to avoid destruction or if he was actually aiming for it. As they turned off the lights and settled down for the night, the only thing Sorren could think of was the ways that this could go horribly wrong.

The next morning dawned with low-hanging clouds and the promise of rain later in the day. It was the perfect day to sleep in, but Sorren wasn’t one to be influenced much by the weather. He went about his morning routine: changing clothes, and running his fingers quickly through his raven-black hair before tying it back.

When he left the bathroom, he was mildly surprised to find Willy was already awake and moving around rather energetically. He currenly had his back turned to Sorren, digging through the bag of goodies he’d obtained yesterday at the vending carts.

He had stored the bag in a little nook in an alleyway before he had chased after Sorren who had been chasing Zar. Luckily, no one had touched the items and he had been able to reclaim them when they’d returned to the inn last night.

Willy pulled out various items and stuffed them into his own multitude of pockets. Fiore had climbed halfway into the bag to thoroughly examine its contents, while Muzu dove headlong into it, trying to get at the food that was at the bottom.

“Oi Muzu, Fiore! Get outta there!” Willy complained lightly, scooping up the crow and tossing him back into the air, and then pulling Fiore out by the scruff of her neck.

Fiore gave a disgruntled hiss, while Muzu squawked unhappily, landed on Willy’s head and then proceeded to roll in his hair while Willy’s hat was off – despite being dressed, he still hadn’t put it on for the day.

“What are you looking for?” Sorren asked, crossing the room to stand behind Willy.

“Nothin’ in particular. Just some little trinkets that might be fun to try.”

Sorren raised an eyebrow, but said nothing more as he filled his own pockets with his slew of weapons and gadgets.

The two were out of the room and on their way to the southeastern port a short while later. The early morning fog had burned off, though the gray clouds still hung in the sky. By the time they reached the port, a fine mist had begun to fall.

“That ancient didn’t give us very good directions,” Willy complained as he scanned the cobblestone ground looking for a manhole that stood out. There was one every twenty feet or so and the port easily went on for a mile or more. It was more like looking for a needle in a hay stack, or in this case, a fancy piece of metal amongst thousands of ordinary cobblestones.

“Why don’t you spend your energy looking rather than complaining?” Sorren replied. “Even with a large area to cover, we’re likely to find it before the day is over.”

“Oh hey! Look at that ship. She’s a real beauty, ain't she?” It was a good deal larger than the others docked in the harbor, and clearly newer as well. Even in the dim light, the wood seemed to shine and the white sails were nearly spotless.

“Will!” Sorren snapped in a scolding voice. “Would you at least pretend to focus?”

“I am focusin’,” he countered. “Just on something a little different than 'ye. Don’t look at me like that. I am searchin’ for the thing.” Sorren’s stern eyes had turned to him and Willy was left with no other choice but to focus his attention on the ground once again. But that didn’t keep him away from the beautiful ship. He continued to inch his way closer to it whenever Sorren had his back turned.

Soon enough, Willy had worked his way to the spot it was docked. Running his hand over the smooth, polished wood, he couldn’t help but admire the fine craftsmanship. He wondered who had made it, and if they’d mind if he “borrowed” it.

“Will.”

Sorren’s sudden voice at his ear made Willy jump slightly. “I was just –” He took a deep breath to prepare his excuse, but Sorren was no longer looking at him. His eyes had drifted downward to the manhole cover that Willy was standing on top of.

“That looks... kinda ornate doesn’t it?” Willy asked, kneeling down to run his hand over the metal. The others were a typical crosshatch design, but this one had a dragon-like ancient engraved in its surface. The creature circled the circumference of the lid while its three pairs of short legs seemed to be holding onto a spherical orb.

Willy and Sorren exchanged a silent nod and they both worked together to lift the heavy metal cover. Once it was off, it revealed a black hole that plummeted straight downward. There was a small ladder attached to the side, but it was well rusted and looked ready to crumble any second.

“Do 'ye think they're down there?” Willy questioned, staring into the darkness.

“Possibly,” Sorren answered. “And there’s a good chance they know that we know about this entrance. We should be on guard.” Sorren moved to the small little ladder, but before he could step onto it, Willy stopped him.

“Hey, before 'ye do that, let me try somethin'!”

“What exactly do you plan on doing?” Sorren questioned, glancing at him skeptically.

“Shouldn’ we find out if there are enemies down there before we dive into the dark? I’ve got just the thing!” He reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a thin cylinder with a wick at one end. “’Ye have a striker on you somewhere right?”

“What is that?” Sorren questioned as he pulled out two small metal pieces from one of his inner coat pockets.

“They called it a ‘firecraker,’” Willy said as he placed the cylinder on the ground and lit the fuse after a couple of tries with the striker. “They said it has an extremely loud explosion.”

“Will! Don’t –” Before Sorren could grab Willy’s arm to stop him, he dropped the explosive down into the hole. “What are you thinking?” Sorren said, turning on him. “We’re trying to be discreet!”

“No, you're tryin' to be discreet. An' 'ye said last night you’d go along with my plans remember?”

“I said we'd see about it, but you aren't planning anything. You’re acting on impulse –” Sorren was cut off by a deafening boom that echoed in the tunnels below. By the way the sound traveled, he could definitely tell there were large tunnels below them; it wasn’t simply a hole in the ground that directed rainwater to the ocean.

Concentrating further, he could hear a faint echoing of people shouting as well. He glanced at Willy, and Willy shot him a wide grin in return.

“I told ‘ye to trust me right? I won’t deny that I act on impulse most of the time, but I ain't without my reasons.”

Sorren gave a light sigh. It definitely wasn’t his preferred method. He and Willy were vastly different in their approaches to problems, but it was undeniably those different viewpoints that made them such a strong team. After joining the Watch Crows and working solo on most of his missions – he and Willy very rarely got sent out together because of past... mishaps – he had almost forgotten that essential fact.

“I’m sorry Will,” he said relented softly. “I’ll trust your judgment as long as you don’t totally disregard mine.”

“I’d never dream of it,” he said with a smile back at Sorren. “'Ye ready to go knock in some heads?”

Sorren dipped his head in a light nod and the two made their way down the fragile ladder and into the absolute darkness below.

A/N~ Wow, I really have too much to say don't I? I just wanted to reiterate that this is really rough. ^^" I probably should've waited to post it as I'm sure clarification is needed at more than one point in this. I also kinda flew through it, more so than I meant to when I planned it in my mind. Next chapter should be pretty fun though. Hopefully...

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

scmarshtacky

Postby Sphye » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:15 pm

scmarshtacky wrote:He reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a thin cylinder with a wick at one end. “’Ye have a striker on you somewhere right?”

“Just what are you planning?” Sorren questioned as he pulled out two small metal pieces from one of his inner coat pockets.

“They called it a ‘firecraker,’” Willy said as he placed the cylinder on the ground and lit the fuse after a couple of tries with the striker. “They said it has an extremely loud explosion.”

“Will! Don’t –” Before Sorren could grab Willy’s arm to stop him, he dropped the explosive down into the hole. “What are you thinking?” Sorren said, turning on him. “We’re trying to be discreet!”

“No, you're tryin' to be discreet. An' 'ye said last night you’d go along with my plans remember?”

And the moral of this particular story is "ask the pirate what he's doing before you help him". XD
Excellent chapter, Scmarsh!!
by ebriose.
"But I still hold out hope that maybe someday
I'll be worth more than all the silence left in my way"

♪♪♪

Postby Silverhart » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:57 pm

Wiser words were never spoken Sphye. *nods sagely*

Also this chapter is awesome! It's crazy and ridiculous and Willy is the best! Even f you did rush it, don't stop scmar! Keep going! Write like the wind!
Hellooo!
My name is Silverhart and I am here to collect pets, draw fanart, and geek out over Eld related things. And all while simultaneously searching for the truth behind the very many excellent questions. I am a stamp enthusiast, a loyal minion to my Lord Sullivan, partaker of muffins, and a shipper of apologies.
Eldemore Fanfiction ~ Current Project ~ Deviantart
Silverhart

Postby scmarshtacky » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Chapter 6

The rusted old ladder, thankfully, managed to hold the weight of both men. It descended down though a narrow passage, which several feet later, opened into a large, spacious tunnel. Sorren reached the ground first, and moved aside to allow Willy space to jump off.

Though it was nearly impossible to see any details in the darkness, Sorren could tell that the path that he was standing on continued down the right side of the tunnel for quite a ways. In the middle, he could hear water running through a channel. Sorren couldn’t see the ceiling, but there was easily enough space for him to stand up straight.

“See anythin’?” Willy whispered softly as he moved to stand at Sorren’s left side.

“No,” he answered quietly. The people they had heard earlier had also vanished, but Sorren got the feeling they were in the general area, either biding their time to see what happened next or setting up a trap.

“Muzu, why don’t you take a look around?” Sorren prompted the crow, and Muzu took to the air. He circled above the two men twice before flying off down the tunnel.

“There’s another tunnel that branches off on the other side,” Sorren said, reporting what Muzu was finding. “It’s dimly lit with a few torches, and seems to be our best shot at finding people down here. Although it’s a bit too convenient.”

“They’ve gone to the trouble of invitin’ us in. We should go meet ‘em!” Willy said enthusiastically. “Now where’s the bridge to cross over this water in the middle?”

“Non-existent,” Sorren answered bluntly. “At least there’s not one in this general vicinity. We’ll have to jump it.”

"I can't even see the other side," Willy protested. "How're we gonna jump it?"

In response, Sorren drug out the striker once more along with a match. He lit it, then threw the stick of wood across the tunnel. It hit the wall on the opposing side, and fell to the ground, lighting up the tunnel just enough to see the brick path on the other side and the water between. The channel was roughly six feet wide.

"Shouldn't be too hard," Sorren said, moving up to the edge of the water.

“That’s easy for ye to say. You’re half bird; jumping a large distance ain't a problem for ye!” Willy protested. He was nimble and athletic sure, but given the limited amount of distance to gain momentum, the jump would by no means be an easy one.

“Would you rather I throw you across?” Sorren questioned, raising one eyebrow.

“You’re choosin’ now to joke around?” Willy exclaimed, though he couldn't help but smile. “Well whatever, shall we go?” Willy backed up to the side, prepared to get as much of a running start as he could. Fiore’s claws dug into the clothing at his shoulders as if she were prepared for the bumpy ride ahead.

Sorren went first, and hopped the distance with ease even while starting from a stand-still. Then Willy gathered himself up, and launched himself forward. He only managed to get two running strides in before he leapt.

The toes of his right foot hit the opposite edge of the channel. He was so close. Another inch or two and he would have made the jump cleanly. As it were, Willy felt his forward momentum die and gravity began to take over as his weight shifted backward.

Sorren, moved instantly, grabbing Willy’s forearm and hauling him forward with all the strength he could muster. It was just enough force to stop him from falling, though Willy didn’t get a chance to regain his balance. Instead his fall merely shifted from backward to forward and the two crashed into the ground, with Willy on top of Sorren.

“We have to stop meetin' like this,” Willy said with a light teasing tone.

“You’re the one always falling down. And you’re heavy, so get off.”

“What if I don’t want to?” the grin on his face widened as he stared down into Sorren’s dual-colored eyes.

“Have you forgotten where we are? Now is hardly the time for this.”

“Have I told you that 'ye can be such a kill-joy Sorren?” Willy pulled himself to his feet, and Sorren scrambled up after him.

They continued down the tunnel in complete silence, intently listening for any sound of people, traps, or other dangers. They stuck close to the side of the wall and stopped as they came to the lit tunnel that Muzu had found.

Sorren peered around the corner, and for a long moment, they both held their breath, waiting for something to happen. When nothing did after a solid minute, Sorren slowly moved out of his hiding place.

“It’s frighteningly quiet,” Sorren muttered softly as he stepped around the corner and into the dim light.

“Should I throw another firecracker?” Willy suggested lightly. “I think I have more.”

Sorren cast him a sideways glare. “Don’t even think about it.”

The tunnel was significantly narrower than the one they had just come out of, with no water flowing through it. There was enough room for about four people to walk abreast and Sorren could reach the ceiling with his fingertips. The entire tunnel extended on for at least a half a mile.

The two moved at a slow pace, sneaking along the walls and stopping occasionally to listen for anyone else. There was no movement, nor any sound that indicated others were down in the tunnels. If the two hadn’t heard their voices when the firecracker went off, they might have thought it was entirely abandoned.

“Looks like it widens up ahead,” Willy said softly. Another few yards confirmed that he was correct. The tunnel opened up into a large circular dome with an extremely high ceiling. Polished marble comprised the floor, along with a large metal seal that had the same design as the manhole cover - a dragon-like ancient which circled the circumference of the metal plate. Multiple small tunnels split off in various directions which would’ve made it difficult to distinguish which one they had originally come out of had their tunnel not been lit.

“This looks very... official,” Willy muttered, stepping toward the middle to observe the insignia.

“It may have been a safe room for the emperor during times of war or disasters,” Sorren replied, turning in a slow circle to observe the surroundings.

“Makes sense. Maybe this is where they plan to infiltrate the castle from? If it was a hidin' place for the emperor, the castle and the tunnels have to be closely connected. Perhaps –”

At that point in time, both Sorren and Willy heard a soft twang of a bow string. Instantaneously, they both ducked and lunged for the wall of the room. A small arrow, likely fired from a crossbow, flew past the space where Willy had been just a moment before.

“Hey Sorren, I think I found the greetin' party!” Willy called, as individuals poured into the area from the smaller tunnels. They were roughly fifty in number. Half headed in Sorren’s direction while the other half mobbed Willy.

Willy noticed several things immediately as his sword met with theirs. First, they were not Orients; they looked more like farmers from a rural village in the Celtlands. Secondly, they were not trained fighters. Their movements were wide and clumsy, which left them open to counterattacks. Because of the lack of refinement in their fighting style, Willy moved easily around their large swings.

The last thing that he noticed, was a look of extreme desperation in their eyes. This odd look gave him pause, and instead of striking a fatal blow with his sword, he merely knocked them unconscious. They were easy to defeat, but there were so many of them coming at him from every direction.

The sheer number of individuals was pushing him backward toward the wall. If he didn’t get around the group soon, he’d be stuck in a corner with little room to dodge incoming attacks.

“Hm, I wonder...” Willy mused, with his left hand resting on his chin in a thoughtful manner while he defended himself with the sword in his right hand. “Yes, I suppose it’s worth a shot.”

Willy jumped back to put a bit of space between himself and the opponents in front of him. Reaching into his right pocket, he pulled out a small leather pouch that he had obtained yesterday from one of the stands. Inside were small gray spheres, about the size of a child’s bouncy ball. If Willy remembered right, the clerk at the stand had called them “Firepoppers.” According to him, they were a fun little explosives that put out quite a bit of light. It should be perfect for stunning his opponents long enough to get around their mob.

Picking one out of the pouch, Willy thrust it to the ground. The little ball exploded with a loud pop, and a blinding rainbow-colored light. As predicted, the enemies froze, and covered their eyes with the back of their hands as the light filled their vision.

“One should never close their eyes durin' a fight~” Willy called in a sing song voice as he danced around the blinded lot of them. As he circled around, he took out those on the outside ranks with a few precise hits to pressure points – both with the butt of his sword and his free left hand – and they fell to the ground unconscious.

On the other side of the tunnel, Sorren was also incapacitating his opponents, though he too was merely knocking them out rather than killing them. He had a feeling of foreboding as he observed them, and for the life of him, couldn’t think of a valid reason why such people would be fighting for the Ouroboros group. They didn’t seem the type to seek the death of the emperor, although it was clear they were here for something, and Sorren was going to find out what that something was.

He took them out meticulously, jumping into the middle of the group, knocking out all of those within arm’s-length, and then retreating a few steps just to conduct the same maneuver again. In just a few minutes, his opponents had been reduced to a number of four. Glancing out of the corner of his eye, Sorren could see that Willy was almost finished with his group as well.

“Do you really wish to continue this farce?” Sorren questioned to those standing before him.

The remaining handful shared a glance, and then they all turned to look behind them at the tunnel they had come out of, as if waiting for further orders. As if on cue, an old man emerged from the tunnel.

Just judging from his appearance, Sorren would’ve placed him around seventy years of age. Wrinkles were etched deeply into his thoughtful face, and his long hair was pure white. A blue fox flameseeker rune dragon was perched on his shoulder. The rune was clearly on the older side as well; the fur on its chest was shaggy and a bit of extra white showed around its paws, muzzle and eyes.

“We surrender,” the man said in a shaky voice befitting his age. “Please do my family no further harm.” At that, the few that remained standing, dropped their weapons and fell to their knees in defeat.

“Were 'ye guys really workin' with the Ouroboros lot to kill the emperor?” Willy questioned, joining Sorren in front of the old man.

“Kill the emperor?? Oh, heavens no.”

“Then what was your goal here?” Sorren questioned the man.

“I suppose it’s been about a year since it happened,” the old man began. “A huge fire demolished our entire village, along with our crops and fields. No one knows exactly how it started, but first one house was on fire, and then the entire village was aflame. We were suffering through a period of drought you see, and our manpower was not enough to quench the flames.

“In the end, we could only watch as everything we had was reduced to rubble. Since that time, we have been on the brink of starvation. Crops will not grow, we have no spare food left, and little supplies to rebuild. Just as I was about to give up hope, a certain man passed through the area. Seeing our desperation, he offered us a way to obtain the money we needed for the repairs.

“He said his goal was to steal some of the gold from the emperor for a certain project of his, and that if we were able to assist him in occupying those who obstructed his plans, we would get a share of the profits. I normally would never condone such selfish acts as stealing, but we are desperate you see. This is our last hope or regaining what we have lost.”

“Do you know what this ‘project’ is?” Sorren questioned, breaking the silence that followed the end of the man’s story.

He shook his head slowly. “I know not.”

“And his name?” Sorren prompted.

“Zar is what he told us to call him.”

“I see.” As expected, he was the one pulling the strings behind this ploy, Sorren mused.

"What about his plans regarding the infiltration of the castle? Do you know where the tunnel is that they plan to use to get in?"

Once again he shook his head. "We were only given the most basic of details: how to get into this room, and how to get back outside from this point."

"Are you referring to the manhole that connects to the main tunnel?"

"Manhole? No no. If you follow the flow of water in the channel, it leads to an opening on outskirts of the city."

“Hey old man,” Willy spoke up. “'Ye probably want to get your people and leave. This ‘project’ of his definitely ain't as simple as stealin' a bit of the emperor’s gold. That, we’re sure of. The two of us can hook 'ye up with some people that can help with rebuildin' and all that jazz, so it would be best for 'ye to leave the Oriental Isles.”

“Just who are you two?” the old man questioned, looking from Willy to Sorren dubiously.

“That is information you are better off not knowing,” Sorren answered. “The rest of these men will probably awaken relatively soon. It would be wise to heed our warning before you find yourself involved in a scheme that goes beyond the task you signed up for.”

With that, Sorren turned his back and headed back down the lit tunnel. After casting one last glance at the old man, Willy turned and followed his friend.

“Do ‘ye really think it’ll be okay to leave ‘em like that?” Willy questioned when they were alone again.

“The village leader is no fool. I think he will take the warning seriously. He knows that if they choose to interfere again, we will have no choice to eliminate them as obstacles to our objective.”

“’Ye can be so harsh sometimes Sorren,” Willy said with an exasperated sigh.

“It comes with the job,” he answered bluntly.

"What do 'ye think Zar's actual project is?" Willy questioned. "Seems like it's a bit deeper than we originally thought."

"I don't know, but I think we can be relatively certain that he's been planning this out for quite some time. He gained the help of these people, months in advance, specifically for them to occupy whoever showed up to stop him. That means he knew the Watch Crows would get wind of it and make a move on him. We got word that he planned to overthrow the emperor while he told the others that stealing gold was his plan."

"So at this point, we've no idea what he's actually after."

Sorren gave a short nod. "I have the feeling that whatever plan he has in the Oriental Isles is just the beginning of his overall 'project.' Right now, we're all just players on the field that he's created."

"So how we're goin' to get ahead of the game is the real question now, eh?

A/N~ It took me an entire month, but progress as been made. I ended up hitting a mental obstacle with the details leading up to the actual fight stuff. I finally managed to conquer that today. I apologize if the beginning stuff is just terrible. I tried to edit it a bit, but it's probably still rough. Hopefully the last half is a little better since I hit my writing swing.
As always, I hope you enjoyed it~

~~To watch and Protect~~
#EldemoreIsLife

scmarshtacky

PreviousNext